09/04/2015

Day 9: What is this synchronicity?

As I keep up with my morning prayers as the most important part of my daily routine, life becomes more synchronous and interesting. I no longer put any effort into finding someone to reach out to. It just happens.

Yesterday, I made a difference to two strangers, with no effort from my part, other than being myself.

The most important was the recruiter, as this also tested my integrity. It started with a recruiter who loved my profile and thought I was the perfect guy for a specific, high paying job. Only one catch, I had to have recent Java development experience. But I have not had a Java project since 2000.

"Just fix the CV, put it in," he told me. I refused. "I don't understand, if you do not fix the CV and put your Java experience in 2010-2015, I can not process this job."

"That's fine. I'm not doing it."
"But how can I process it if you don't do the change?"
"I'm not going to lie on my CV."
"But then you won't qualify for the job."
"I don't want a job if I have to lie to get it."
"So you just can't lie?"
"That's right."

Silence for a while.

"Why can't you lie just a little bit?"
"If I lied, it would destroy my integrity. It is bad for my mental health, and that also affects the body. I'm a Buddhist."

Silence again.

"You're the first who will not lie."
"I'm not the only one in the world."
"So you're a Buddhist?"
"Yes."
"So you have converted to Buddhism?"
"Yes. Of sorts. I have been looking my entire life for what I agree with, and that journey has taken me to Buddhism."
"But you were a Christian, right?"
"Look, Buddhism does not make a big statement about God. It's more of an applied psychology, how to live your life without suffering. You can be Buddhist AND Christian, or Buddhist Muslim, or what have you. One does not exclude the other."
"And as a Buddhist, you can not lie."
"That's right. You should rather spend your energy on goodness, be good to yourself and others alike. Be honest with who you are, accept yourself and accept others for who they are."
"That's so nice..."

His focus changed completely. He was no longer trying to recruit me, but instead wanted to stay in touch off job - in fact, he confided that he didn't want the job he was in now, and had hopes I might help HIM find a job in my country - in a way that was also respectful to HIS integrity...

No comments:

Post a Comment